Wednesday 23 August 2023

The Black Blues Brothers, Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh Festival Fringe

 Always read the small print?

In many years of booking tranches of Fringe shows it's long been my policy to mix it up. A few that offer familiar territory, reliable performers I know we'll enjoy, and a more random selection of the unfamiliar. Usually, with the latter, I'll do a bit of basic research, checking it doesn't bring us into areas we know, from experience, just aren't our thing. Like anything that says 'Magic' or 'Illusion' - terms to be avoided.

But then sometimes I break my own rules. The Black Blues Brothers sounded like it would be interesting, perhaps inspired by a Blues Brothers type show we went to a few years back (https://golive15.blogspot.com/2017/08/blues-brothers-live-c-venues-edinburgh.html), which was excellent. So I didn't do my background checks. Until the day itself, and then found myself faced with some of those trigger words that say 'Stay Away' - Acrobats, Circus. Oh dear...

But along I went anyway, to see what I would make of it all. And it was as bad, although at least no worse, than I was expecting. Any links to the real Blues Brothers were tenuous at best - some outfits, some music. But it might have been more realistic to name it The Black Full Monty - but without the storyline, or acting, or laughs, or raison d'etre...

The show opens with the five performers appearing, one by one, in costumes suggesting some kind of upper crust US bar, with a bit of mime to try and suggest that something is going on. But the furniture soon moves out the way, they are now all in a semblance of the classic Blues Brothers look, and they begin the first routine. It's already become clear why it's best if the 'acting' is kept to a minimum, because above all these are serious athletes. The acrobatics and choreography are impressive, with tumbling and leaps and catching and human pyramid style interactions. In between each set of leaping and tossing there's a small scenario going on, but it's mostly there to help them get their breath back, ready for the next exertion.

As I already said, their physicality and levels of rehearsal and trust are impressive. But this leads to a one-trick pony. Although they did bring some audience members up, and allowed them some limited participation, that couldn't hide the fact that what happens on stage is essentially repetitive - how could it be otherwise? Initially impressive yes, but swiftly tedious. There's also the weird practice of turning up the house lights on the audience after every routine, as if so needy that they had to see the levels of approval they were being given.

I don't often find myself checking my watch during Fringe shows, but the four times I did is an indication of how slowly time passed here. They received a standing ovation at the end so clearly there is an audience out there that laps this kind of fare up. But it ain't me babe!


The Black Blues Brothers is on at 15.05 in the Assembly Rooms until the 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment