Wednesday 31 July 2019

Catherine Bohart : Lemon, Pleasance Upstairs, Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Lemon is the colour of  the cardigan worn by an audience member at one of Bohart's gigs in last year's Fringe.  She remembered the cardie because the woman didn't just fail to enjoy the show, but actively hated it and made no secret of the fact.  Those things stick in a performer's mind.

In 2018's Immaculate the Irish comedian talked of being a bisexual in a strongly catholic family.  Although she discussed her sexuality she didn't go much into her actual sex life, yet got complaints from people, like Ms Lemon, as if she had.  So why not do it anyway...

Despite that intro the show isn't all that much about sex, but about relationships, bigotry and, bizarrely, Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Whether or not the inclusion of the latter, who pop up several times in the show, is a mistake or not was hard for me to judge.  I'd heard the name before, but had no idea what they were (a comic strip Wikipedia kindly informs me).  That didn't spoil the enjoyment for me, but I was left wondering what I missed out on.  Not a show aimed at those of us in our more senior years perhaps?

That's not a complaint though.  She's an engaging stage presence, interacts well with her audience and has plenty of well crafted jokes (although my biggest laugh was for a line of her mothers - perhaps showing my age again!).  There's also a serious point to be made at the end.

Well worth seeking out.

Catherine Bohart : Lemon is on in Pleasance Courtyard Upstairs until 25 August

No comments:

Post a Comment